Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Just thought some would get a kick out of this one... the worst installation I have ever seen!

SprinklerDesigner2

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2006
US
It's a 12,000 sq ft welding shop and the owner thought he could save some money by installing it himself.

No drawings, no calculations just 100% CPVC pipe and pendent sprinklers used for upright and sidewalls.

No tamper, flow switches, inspectors test, aux. drains and no need for a main drain! Boy, that was easy!

BadCVPCInstallatin_yg0c38.jpg

Job is in Alabama and the local people never new about it until they were called to do an inspection.

Has anyone ever seen anything worse? :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you know how long it has been there???

I wonder who did the underground???

Have the osy ever been turned on ?

Is it in the shop area also? Can you post a few pictures

You sure his brother in laws fire sprinkler company did not do the work??

At least the glue on the fitting joints looks pretty neat. Half the jobs I look at, it's smeared all over the pipe.

To answer your question directly - that is indeed the worst install I've ever seen. Not by a huge margin though.

The photo of the attic is actually over the weld shop itself. 100% CPVC.

They called me to ask if I would "certify" the system which is something I would never touch. I saw it, laughed and left.

Do you know how old the install is?

Do you turn this in to the ahj or whoever regulates sprinklers?

A red tag goes directly to the ahj within 24 hours in the state I am in.

I wonder if some ahj approved it?????

cdafd,

It's maybe 4 months old now since completion.

I can guarantee that the AHJ never knew this job existed as permits were never applied for. Indeed no drawings or calculations were ever created.

I never turned it in it is not my business. I told the owner we would have to tear it all out and start over. Other than that I wouldn't touch it.

It is the worst one I have ever seen.

That's amazing - thanks for sharing. It's honestly impressive that someone would put this much effort into doing everything wrong.

Please tell me this was not done by a licensed contractor. I am hoping it was done by some plumber or something. Also, please tell me there were not plans done that were designed like this.

Travis Mack, SET, RME-G,
MEPCad, Inc
AutoSPRINK | AutoSPRINK FAB | AutoSPRINK RVT

Travis,

Not by a licensed contractor of any kind.

My understanding is that the work was done by a son-in-law with zero knowlege (duh?) about sprinklers for the extra money.

No drawings of any kind.

Over my years I have seen some pretty poor installations but this one takes the lead prize!

cdafd,

The local AHJ is fully aware of the project and will not issue an occupancy permit until a fully approved sprinkler system is installed.

Scrap everything that is there including the underground line because everything is wrong.

Back