Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Just whining, nothing to see here. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

HgTX

Civil/Environmental
Aug 3, 2004
US
I gots stuff on my mind (corporate, not safety). Never navigated these shoals before. And pretty much all of my rather generous supply of mentors are in a position to use the info to financial advantage if I talk to them about it. Would they? Some might. I need to grow up and realize that they're businessmen first and my informal career advisors about 53rd.

So I need serious career advice and everyone who knows my career well enough to talk to me about it meaningfully is also too connected to my tightly knit industry for me to talk to them about the situation.

Whine. Sniffle.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And "the situation" is?

Sounds like you are hesitant about sharing it even here...

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

If I can't tell my mentors, I can't tell a public forum.

Like I said, just whining.

Hg

Create a new identity, change all the names, locations, and industries, and post an innocuous question that gets to part of the answer you are looking for. Then have HgTX give the new identity stars. It could work.

David

HgTX:

I'd be glad to help.

So...what was the question again?

Seriously, from the OP, it "sounds like" you have an idea that might be worth money, but you think that sharing that idea might result in others taking your idea and profiting while you get nothing. It might be either a business opportunity or a patent-able idea.

I am in a situation somewhat like that. I deal with it this way: I have lots of ideas, and some of them come to me at work. I don't necessarily share all of my ideas with my employer - the ones I choose not to share, I don't "work on" at work. If it's important enough to me, I take those ideas off line for further "investigation".

Regards,

SNORGY.

Use a handle with the word "cutie" in it and see how many responses you get.

My brother used to tell me that if I wanted to find sympathy, it was in the dictionary between shingles and syphilis.

... and don't forget to somehow infer that you have cleavage if the responses slow down.[wink]

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

I tried "SnorgyCutie" and "CutieSnorgy".

Neither worked especially well for me.

Perhaps, in retrospect, I might have uploaded a JPG image.

Regards,

SNORGY.

If I gain any more weight I'm changing my handle to Deadly Double D's. Just kidding. Suffice it to say that unemployment is NOT good for the diet plan.

Hg, I can't guess what the problem is, but for what it's worth, there is no one out there who will protect you better than yourself. And most will gladly step on your neck to get a leg up before they stick their own neck out to help. Trust no one and act sooner rather than later.

OK, that should be enough of a day brightener. Stay away from sharp objects and high places.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Heh.

Thanks for the various forms of support from various quarters. I've decided to let the situation marinate a while longer.

Hg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back