Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Just whining, nothing to see here. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

HgTX

Civil/Environmental
Aug 3, 2004
US
I gots stuff on my mind (corporate, not safety). Never navigated these shoals before. And pretty much all of my rather generous supply of mentors are in a position to use the info to financial advantage if I talk to them about it. Would they? Some might. I need to grow up and realize that they're businessmen first and my informal career advisors about 53rd.

So I need serious career advice and everyone who knows my career well enough to talk to me about it meaningfully is also too connected to my tightly knit industry for me to talk to them about the situation.

Whine. Sniffle.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So in the end I decided not to navigate those waters. Thanks for y'all's support.

Meanwhile, for peripherally related reasons, I find myself once again in a situation that I would really like to talk over with someone, but everyone who's close enough to the situation to know what (and, more importantly, who) I'm talking about is probably someone the abovementioned "who" doesn't want me talking to.

Is this just part of being a grownup, or am I just going through a phase of stumbling into tetchy situations?

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Hg, I find myself there a lot this past year since my Daddy died. I could talk with him about most anything and he usually had a good thought or two on it. One thing I learned through losing him was that there are other people I can talk to, but usually not one person who can do it all.

How about asking an old professor? I've called mine several times, to get their professional thoughts.

Good luck!

Hi HgTX, at 42 I passed several of those situations - average is one in 2 or 3 years. See, after a bit of whine (try wine, once, can't you?) I quite often found that it just provokes some PUSH to get to my own solution. That then is some firm ground to stand upon, and not being dependent on communication to trapdoor people. So, not that I'm begging for it, but second times it's EASIER to face it / her / them.
Best wishes

Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back