Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Justifying Forklift and Material on Elevated Parking Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajdg29

Structural
Sep 10, 2015
US
Hey there, was wondering if I could get some help. Trying to justify the use of a forklift carrying materials on an existing elevated parking garage deck. The deck is 4-1/2" LW conc. over Verco W3 deck. Building was built in the 1980's. I was going to try and just show that the loading of the forklift carrying material plus 20psf construction live load was less than the original design live load. I was assuming minimum 40psf live load per original design minimum.

The forklift operating weight is 11,001 lbs and maximum lifting weight is 5,512 lbs. The tires are 12x16.5 12pr and have a maximum load of 6,320 lbs. What is the best way to analyze this and compare to original design live load? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Exactly what I'm trying to avoid. And I'm not sure this is going to work. Just seeing if there are any other tricks to analyze this. Thanks.

Seems like you may have some trouble with this one. If you take the operating weight + payload and divide by 40 psf, you get and area required of 412 sq. ft. This equates to all of the live load for a 20'x20' bay. Not to mention punching shear that will be caused by concentrating the load below the tires.

Yeah, I don't think it's going to work either. Any other way to justify, or that's just way to big of a forklift? Thanks.

I've attached a spreadsheet that deals with this. I'm not the author but I can vouch for the general competence of the engineer who is.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9f655fcd-4340-49ff-b705-c4b22d97ae72&file=Forklift_Load_on_Composite_Deck.xlsx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back