K&c test lateral loading trail value

Status
Not open for further replies.

alok_singh

Automotive
Mar 7, 2024
IN
Hi all,
Is 30 mm trail is standard for applying lateral load or do I have to check what is actual mechnical trail at design condition(unladden)?

Thanks
Alok

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pneumatic trail is what you are after, from your tire model divide the self aligning torque by lateral force at the operating condition. This gives you the pneumatic trail.

The mechanical trail is fixed by your geometry and is automatically present when you do a K&C test.

In the absence of tire data, or if you wish to standardise, 30mm for pneumatic trail is fine. Run 0mm as well.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I am running with 0 mm trail also but in literature it's given lateral load is applied at pneumatic trail + mechnical trail. In some reports(for different class of vehicle) I am seeing 17 mm castar trail and in some 29 mm cater trail. And they have taken 30mm as trail.

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the clarification, I have few query, If possible please clarify them.

1.In steering compliance with, In-phase loading and out-phase loading how steering system compliance effect. And do I need to introduce compliance of tie rod while doing this?

2.Is track change is importance for dependent suspension(beam axle 3 link).

3.Does force roll center height changes much in dependent suspension?(as per my understanding kinematic roll center(KRC) lateral movement effect the height of force roll center and in beam axle with panhard rod and KRC doesn't change much laterally).

Thanks
Alok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back