Feb 24, 2018
CO
This system
IMG-20180827-WA0015-1_uox0uf.jpg

is usable in US?
Any example?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not aware of this particular company but google quonset huts and you can see this same type of technology was once very prevalent in the US. My uncle had one that has to be 50 ft to 60 ft wide and the corrugated panel was the only structure. A similar type of system, although not curved, is called Epic Deck. It's very deep deck that replaces normal purlins. As long as there is sufficient testing to confirm engineering data and this system could be demonstrated to work for the code required loading, there's no reason this couldn't work.

X4vier:
Generally, SandwichEngine’s thinking about quonset huts is headed in the right direction. But, most of them were a half circle/cylinder, resting on a flat slab or footing which would tolerate some thrust in the plane of the slab or footing top. What you picture is a very shallow arch which will have substantial thrust at its spring line, that is, the top of the bldg. walls. And, some structural system and a fairly substantial horiz. thrust beam must take care of that thrust or the arch will just spread and flatten down (deflect downward). That top box truss and the trusted wall columns may do that. So would tie rods at the top of the wall, if you can live with the lower head room elev. Look up the analysis and design of arches I any good, older, Structural Analysis and Design textbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back