Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kathabar Twin-Cel System

Status
Not open for further replies.

slynk

Chemical
Jun 10, 2009
US
Hi everyone,

I've read about Kathabar systems online and am hoping to gather some general feedback, since I don't think it's very much used in Asia yet.

Does anyone have any experience of retrofitting your current systems with it? Is it cost effective? Does it really work in terms of energy recovery? It would be great if you can share your benefits and payback period.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Corrosion problem is predominant with liquid desiccant based dehumidification systems. If you don't have other options, check Drykor as well.

My experience is limited to remove a Kathabar system and installing a Bry Air system that used a desiccant wheel instead of the liquid. The plant in question used Kathabar unit successfully for the better part of 30 years, but they had a host of corrosion issues near the end.

You should be careful about anything that is metal in the space. For example, duct work, grills and steel equipment in the rooms.

The advantage with liquid desiccant system is that you can acheive dehumidification and cooling with one system (isenthalpic process is virtually defeated) by changing liquid desiccant flowrates. For a solid system, cooling after dehumidification is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back