Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep Geometry Data when Importing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecarr

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2006
US
I am trying to import several (+20,000) surfaces into Solidworks from Catia. I have tried saving as an IGES and STEP file, but the specific surface names do not get imported. Instead they are just called 'Imported Surface.1, Imported Surface.2, etc.'

It is critical that the individual surface names from Catia get imported into Solidworks. Does anyone know a way to keep these names when importing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nope. I believe you're out of luck on that one. You may be able to automate the renaming of the imported surfaces if the surfaces are in the same order in the tree in both programs.

I have done successful imports with proper file and feature names in the step format, but this was from inventor generated files. Maybe its possible to do it if you can do it by first exporting to inventor (if you have access to a inventor machine) .
Best of luck.

Unfortunately we do not have Inventor, but thanks for the tip.

I think we're going to resort to automating the process and pulling the name for each surface off one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back