Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Keeping Fire Sprinklers Clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorCalJason

Industrial
Aug 28, 2009
US
Does anybody have suggestions to keeping Fire Sprinklers clean in extremely dirty applications?

I have a few clients that operate garbage processing facilities, and the dust/dirt/grime buildup on the heads is a a real concern.

I was thinking the use of plastic bags, or paper bags might be good in this application. Much like those in paint booths.

Any feedback on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wax coated sprinklers.........in a fire, the wax melts and any debris on the head slides off with the melted wax, then the sprinkler can operate as designed. I would find a different solution if the amount of debris is considered heavy deposits.

I suggest you look at NFPA 33 as it offers guidance for bags to protect sprinklers based on a series of fire tests sponsored by Branskfourst, the Swedish Fire Protection Association. Basically you should purchase a bundle of light weight paper bags and zip tie a bag around the pipe nipple serving each sprinkler.

I can get you the reference from the SFPE Journal of Fire Protection Engineering if you need it.

I don't agree with wax covered sprinklers - that's like pouring honey on sprinklers and asking bees not to polinate it. Wax atracts debris.

I agree with Scott on both comments. Paper bag is the way to go. Sounds like a fun job I am sure all the heads are very accessible and not very high up...NOT!!!

Enjoy

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

I would highly recommend NOT using a plastic or paper bag to cover up the sprinkler. I have never seen a sprinkler head purposely covered up, and this would surely be against the listing of the sprinkler. If a typical sprinkler is supposed to operate at 155 degrees F, the sprinkler will be obstructed until the paper burns off at over 500 degress. Plastic could melt and adhere to the sprinkler, again obstructing its water spray.

Wax or lead coated sprinklers are more ideal for corrosive environments (e.g. salt water, pool rooms, chemical storage).

If this facility has a finished ceiling, I would recommend a decorative sprinkler, like a flush or concealed type. There would be less edges for something to 'hook' onto. Otherwise, the owner is responsible for maintaining the sprinkler system, which would include regular inspections and clean-up of any accumulation on the sprinkler.

NFPA 33, Standard for Spray Application Using Flammable or Combustible Materials, 2007 Edition

9.4.7.1 Sprinklers shall be permitted to be covered only by cellophane bags having a thickness of 0.08 mm (0.003 in.) or less or by thin paper bags. These coverings shall be replaced frequently so that heavy deposits of residue do not accumulate.

Okay, there is similar language in NFPA 13 as well, but I don't know if you can extend the reason to use bags in a spray paint booth, to this type of facility.

I didn't think wax heads were appropriate for this use either. Also, wax is applied by the manufacture at the factory and is part of their listing, whereas the bag is not.

My point was that although the reasoning and logic to using bags is sound, it is not supported by the applicable standard. Yes, the standards do not cover every single situation, but if the AHJ asks where in the code it is allowed, will they follow the same reasoning?

As I see it here are the options:

Option 1: Head totally covered with stuff that may/will affect the operation and performance during a fire.

Option 2: A paper bag that will prevent the accumulation of stuff on the head that will clog and reduce the performance during a fire.

Which option would you choose?

I know from an insurance point of view I would choose Option 2.

Am I going to have to replace the bag over time?? Yes. Will I need to take the sprinkelr system out of service to do this, nope, not true with option 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back