Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KERF Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

precisiontech

Electrical
Sep 16, 2010
US
What all effects the Kerf? If we have a GO/NOGO gage for holes cut with the laser, and use kerf to get the best fit, what could be an outside factor that could change this and cause the kerf to change? Any maintenance tasks, diffrent heats of material, etc.

Same material type, same part.

Thanks in advance for the support.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are other contributors better suited to answer you question than I. But, I will throw in my two cents.

It sounds to me that you are asking, "why do hole dimensions change from day to the next?"

If this what you are asking, I will try to answer. Focal point and beam quality. There is a post a few weeks back where someone did an excellent job explaining focal point and its relationship to the top of the material and width of the beam, kerf. If your focal point changes due to a decision your operator made, then the machine should be able to compensate for that with "cutter comp".

It is my opinion that spots on an optic, focus lens specifically, will cause the mirror/lens to absorb energy instead of transmit. I believe when the focus lens heats up it expands and changes the focal point. Change in focal point = change in beam width.

Another idea. Beam quality. If there are any contaminants in the beam delivery system, the beam gets bigger. Blooming is the term I use. For CO2 lasers carbon dioxide or maybe even carbon monoxide would be and example. This two can change the kerf.

If there are fumes from other processes in the area of your machine, this will have a drastic effect on the beam diameter size. Parts being cleaned with any solvents in preparation for finishing can be your culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back