Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

kevlar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kevlar is not abrasive. It is a very tough fiber and fibrillates so you need very sharp tools to cut it cleanly. It may be thought to be abrasive because once the edge of the cutting blade wears even a little, it is no longer sharp enough. You need a microscope to see if a blade is sharp enough for Kevlar.

Thanks Compositepro, I have a part with 12 kevlar layers with epoxy resin, what do you think about the better tool to cut it?

The selection is usually based on a compromise between desired finish versus cutting speed. Wood working tool geometry is often more appropriate than tools designed for cutting metals. Water or air cooling often required to remove frictional heat which will char the epoxy and gum the tool. I would use an abrasive blade in a table saw with a slow feed rate.

Hello berkshire,
Is true, I got a fuzzy edge, but I do not know what is the brand new vixen file, can you please send me an image.

Thanks for your tip.

bluecomp
Here is a link to a Vixen file vendor
Once you see what they are, you may know them by another name.

For some parts you can use them as they come from the vendor, for other parts, it is more convenient to cut them into 3" or 4" long pieces, drill countersunk holes into them with a carbide bit, and screw them to a convenient sized block of wood.
B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back