Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Key Maintenance Switch for FM200 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceYogurt

Mechanical
Jun 16, 2021
EG
Is it necessary to provide Key Maintenance Switch (Disconnection Switch) for FM200 system?

As per Clause 4.3.6 of NFPA 2001 (2018.ED), disconnection switch (key maintenance switch) shall be provided. However, the SPEC doesn't specify key maintenance switch even though the SPEC follows NFPA 2001. Besides, the material submittal and shop drawings have been approved without comments about key maintenance switch. Now when we are working on mock-up, the Consultant issues a comment to add key maintenance switch with code reference. As the Contractor, what should I do?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It does say

Shall Be Provided.

So if you have to meet all of NFPA 2001, 2018,

Looks like you will be installing one.

As for who pays???

Did your designer catch it or know about the switch requirement?

Hi cdafd,

It's a Lump Contract. So if the switch is to be added, it will increase our cost as a Main Contractor.
Background: This is a contract based on FIDIC yellow book 1999, and design part is outsourced back to the Engineer.
IFC (Info for construction) is from the Engineer. As IFC doesn't indicate the switch, so I guess they have no idea about the switch requirement.
SHD (shop drawing) is designed by our subcontractor of clean agent system. I think they omitted the switch in their shop drawings intentionally to win the bidding by the lowest price.

Do you have any insight about the case? I think the Engineer should at least share the responsibility of the absence of the switch as it isn't indicated in IFC.

Not my area, contracts

Someone needs to read the contract, that should kind of clear it up

I would say no the engineer is not at fault,,, normally the installer/ designer company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back