Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Keyhole fastener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

proth

Mechanical
Aug 22, 2006
US
I am trying to find information on a keyhole type connection that I remember seeing somewhere but can't find. It is a simple stud to keyhole design but it uses a piece of spring steel on the keyhole side of the connection to "lock" it in place once it is slid over the stud. Can anyone help me out? I would like to design something similar for an application that I have but it would be nice if I could purchase it off the shelf or at least design it to comparable standards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks mog69 for the response! Unfortunately after reviewing the Dzus website it is not the quarter turn fastner that you are referring to.

I'll try to describe it in more detail.

The "female" component is a piece of flat stock with a keyhole punched into it. For discussion sake let's say the flat stock measures 0.125" x 1" x 2" and a keyhole is punched into 1" x 2" surface. There will be a very thin piece (0.010" thick) of spring steel welded on to cover the "entry" part of the keyhole. This "female" component is similar to the following piece of door hardware but much heavier duty and the piece of spring steel is welded to cover the entry part of the keyhole.

The "male" component is a typical stud welded onto a piece of flat stock. The stud design is typical to what is used in a keyhole design.

The nice thing about the design I'm referring to is the spring steel will lock the "male" component in place once it is properly installed into the "female" component.

Do you mean like on the doors of electrical enclosures. They use a similar spring loaded setup.
Look at the swing panel latches on Stahlin enclosures. They use them to hold their dead front panels closed. I could not find a drawing for them on there website but I have enclosures with them.

Regards
StoneCold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back