Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kind of off topic but NICET for fitters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinklerDesigner2

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2006
US
Heard from a fire chief friend that NICET is preparing some sort of certification for sprinkler installation fitters that is supposed to debut 2010.

Anyone else hear anything or am I being fed hogwash?

Hard enough to find a competent fitter these days who is off drugs and not an alcoholic but now they got to pass a test too?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SD2

I had lunch today with one of my fire protection contractor friends who I offered some free FPE consulting. He didn't mention it. He did mention he had to fire a fitter last week who failed his whiz quiz over meth. It's sad how narcotics destroy people.

As much as I love Texas, I would sure hate to see this. I can see the SFM jumping on this like stink on sh*t because it creates another funding mechanism.

I'm not sure what that means, "a certification for sprinkler fitters". If it means 'dumbed down' then it is quite frankly, stupid. Anyone can pursue their Nicet certification can they not? I would have to see the details to pass judgment one way or another. That being said, I've been a red seal Journeyman fitter for many years and I'm always attending courses to upgrade my knowledge base. I've also been inspecting fire protection systems for ten of those years without Nicet because quite frankly, not only was it not known about when I started, it still isn't required up here. That being said, anything that will help people do their job better is a good thing. And to address something else that is related, There are two sides to the coin in regards to installed systems: there's the design and there's the installation. Both sides require an acute understanding of code for the system to go in properly. Both the designer and the installer have to do their job right and both can learn off of what the other has learned during the process. From an installers point of view, nothing bugs me more than some high falutin desk jockey showing up on site and telling me this is the way it has to be without trying to see both sides of the coin. Who would make a better inspector? Someone who knows how an installation goes in? What's behind the walls and ceilings? What the likely reasons are for a head or a run of pipe being where it is? Or someone who understands it from a different point of view? A good inspector is a good inspector. A good engineer or a good installer are what they are. They understand not just the process that went into creating a code, but the process that went into installing a system.

Regards
Dave

"Anyone can pursue their Nicet certification can they not?"

Dave, I worked in the field for 8 years before I started doing design work. I passed enough elements for Nicet level 3 in two sittings but Nicet refused to certify me because my experience was "not design related". Personally, I think this is ridiculous. I argued to no avail that field experience was priceless as far as designers are concerned. That said, I think a certification for fitters is a great idea, as long as it is tailored to the installation rules. We have been pushing for a fitter certification at the state level here in Kentucky for some time. Maybe they will adopt the Nicet requirements when they become available.

Ryano

Well isn't that a fun play on words. If the installation isn't design related, I'll eat my shorts. It sounds like a type of professional protectionism.

In fact they are as closely related as you can get. One is of little value without the other. I'm always impressed when I see the engineer out in the field visualizing how the install should go before hand, and then checking to see how it's going as the job comes along. This seems to happen less and less.

But I have to disagree with you about having Nicet "taylored" for fitters. This will merely lead to a two tier system, even if only in appearance, where one system will be seen as being of less value than the other. No. Other than relaxing the rules to allow those in related fields to try and attain certification, the same high standards must be met by all.

Regards
Dave

I am of the opinion that any license or certification a fitter can have to set himself apart from the crowd of run of the mill "this is just my job" fitters is a good thing. Nicet, Star Exam, State License, etc are all great. This is a bussiness where nobody knows it all. A Journeyman card says you know the minimum and that is all it really says about you. I know Journeymen that can't do the math for a 45 degree offset. My only issue with it is where is it going to end. I work in multiple states every year. I carry State Licenses, several certs, etc. There is a stack of cards in my wallet that makes my butt hurt when I sit on it in the truck. How much money will I have to shell out annually when this is all said and done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back