Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kitchen ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

zemela

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2002
BG
Hi, I'm Bulgarian Engineer, designer and supplier of HVAC equipment. I want to ask somebody where can I find a method for calculation of kitchens. Bulgarian methods are too weak. Thank you and sorry for my English.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Zemela

Do you have access to the ASHRAE Handbooks ? Try the HVAC Applications Volume of the ASHRAE handbook. It has a whole chapter devoted to Kitchen Ventilation.

Hi Zemela,
Typically for Kitchens the ventilation rate required is 10-15 ACH (air changes per hour) if you are talking about a domestic kitchen, but if we were talking about an industrial one the ventilation rate is 20 ACH.

But please note that, if you had a hood,
(it needs 150 cfm/sqft of hood area) so you might need some make up air to satisfy the hood.

Hi Zemela,

I think for commercial kitchen the appropriate cfm per sqft is between 80 and 50 (ASHRAE - Industrial Ventilation). Arabei's figure seems too high, which will always require an extra make-up air unit for high volumes of exhaust - something which can be avoided in small hoods.

Vic

"Industrial Ventilation" by The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists is another source. Basically hood exhaust will determine air exchange. ACGIH also indicates 50-80 cubic feet per minute (cfm) of exhaust per square foot of hood opening (as per Vicsidhu above), duct velocity 1,000 to 4,000 feet per minute, hood opening overhangs exhaust surface by 6 inches minimum, hood is 4 feet maximum above exhausted surface. Removable grease pan, and other criteria.

BOCA code in US only indicates 15 cfm per person of make-up ventilating air. Some hoods also have make-up air feed into the hood to keep hoods from exhausting too much conditioned building air.

I hope some of helps. I tried to eliminate ambiguities above because my Bulgarian is also lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back