Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Knife Edge Countersinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

liaisoneng

Aerospace
May 2, 2002
US
On the subject of knife edge countersinks,everyone agrees they're poor practice but the actual criteria vary. I know a Boeing standard is 66% sheet thickness for max allowable countersink depth (with Briles being 75%). I was wondering what other criteria are out there (other companies, government, etc). Also, does anyone have real world examples of the dangers of knife edging? I can't find anything in the Aloha incident that definitely confirms it as an issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Russ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Russ,
I know that when I worked at McDonnell Douglas, the design allowables for aluminum flush head rivets installed in machine-countersunk sheet with greater than 70% depth of countersink were reduced. The reason was that head tilting will occur under relatively low loads, which adversely affects fatigue. Off-hand, I'm not sure how much the allowables were reduced.
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back