Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Know of any good books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry1492

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2005
US
I'm looking for a good book on composites. I'm not necessarily looking for a "text book" at this point....more of a "composites for dummies" type of book, if you will. Something that can give me a good overview of the entire field without getting bogged down with calcultions.

Thanks - Barry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An Introduction to Composite Materials, 2nd Edition, by D. Hull and T. W. Clyne, Cambridge University Press (1996)

Best book I've seen, but still not one of the better texts I've ever read either.

Another decent book is "Handbook of Composites", 2nd edition, edited by S.T. Peters. It's pretty thick, but it should get you everything you ever dreamed of.

Some titles

Fibre Reinforced Plastics Cheremisinoff
Laminar Composites Staab

In addition you may like to subscribe to They have a range of books available for the plastics industry. You can get a free limited time subscription where you can view the product.

Any electronic source of books is CRC.

I fyou are amember of a professional engineering body then they may have already a subscription service to one of these organisations. You could access the library database that way.

The best I have seen for the pratising piping engineer is ISO 14692. Of course BS 7159 and 4994 are also worthy of investment.

My favorite composites books:
ASM Vol 21 'Composites'
MIL-17 'composites'
Noakes 'The fiberglass manual'
M.Niu 'composite airframe structures'

my favorite book is 'engineering mechanics of composite materials' by isaac m.daniel and ori ishai. it goes deep into material properties and so on - if at some stage, you're interested in that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back