Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[Knowledgeware] Standard part instatiation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

django87

Mechanical
Jun 10, 2014
SI
Hello everyone,

Since we are in lockdown I decided to organize our catalogs a little bit. I'd also like to solve a specific issue:
When instantiating a standard part from catalog CATIA creates a new part (new partnumber) even when the new part is the identical to the pre-exisiting part in the assembly. Is there a way create a new instance of the standard part (and not new part) when instantiating from catalog? I believe this is possible through use of ARM Catalog as shown at the end of this document but I'm having trouble implementing it.

Thank you and stay safe.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,
1. I pointed the setting "Architect Resources Creation path" under Options/parameters to my knowledgeware folder.
2. I created an ARM catalog following the instructions on page 106: Created new catalog named ARMcatalog. I created a new family under Chapter.1, named it "Standard parts" and created keywords "Logical name", "Type", "Usage" (all strings) while activated on newly created family. Saved the new catalog under "knowledge\knowledgeResourcesCatalogs"
3. Added my standard part catalog (named "MyCatalog") to the family by selecting "Add Component"->"Select Document". CATIA gave it a name "MyCatalog
4. This is the part I'm not sure of: I gave the newly added component a Logical name "Standard parts". Standard parts is the name of the family in MyCatalog where standard parts are saved (like plates, guides, etc...)
5.I tried to instantiate part from MyCatalog several times but each time it appeared with new partnumber.

My final objective is to instantiante and Assembly from MyCatalog. Assembly contains several standard parts and some project specific parts. I would like to have standard parts instantiated as instances and project specific parts as new parts.

Thanks for the reply and stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back