Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Knurl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robogirl

Mechanical
Apr 28, 2005
MX
Hi!, I have a question about knurling... I don't have it in my list of colors and textures, I'm using Autodesk Inventor 7.0... could that be the reason?... and in that case, is there anything I can do to knurl a surface?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good question. The best way would be to create your own custom texture. Inventor Help has some pretty good info on that. Of course, you won't be able to see the texture in a 2D print unless you print it shaded with show reflections and textures selected in the applications options. If you're not going to show shaded views in an .idw, I wouldn't bother to texture a model. It just adds overhead memory loss and regen time. Definitely use it if you're trying to show your parts in an assembly and your marketing people want to see some colour. You'll end up using regular drawing standards to detail the part in an .idw anyway. Shading and texturing fall in the 'smoke and mirrors' category.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your answer, it was really helpful. I have to show both: .idw and assembly, but I think I will use regular drawing to show knurl in the .idw, and for the assembly, I will just add a note to show the part is knurled.
Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.