Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Knurling in 3D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnicalConsultant

Mechanical
Mar 26, 2004
GB
Hi all,

At the moment whenever we require a knurl we only show it on the drawing sheet. Has anyone got any thoughts on how I could show it on the actual 3D model?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark Noyce
Senior Design Engineer/CAD co-ordinator

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It can be modelled but that does seem like pretty much the most painful option. So there was a thread a while back where we even posted examples, you'll have to search if you're heart is set on modelling knurls.

For visualisation purposes there are texture maps you can apply in for high quality shading.

For drafting I just apply a hatch style.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

I agree with hudson... modeling the actual knurling is on par with modeling threads; is the result really worth the effort?

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Is this what you're talking about:

Knurled_Knob.jpg

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John, maybe it's my computer, but I can't see your attachment.

And here is an actual part file. Just unsuppress the suppressed features and then perform a Boolean Subtract where the core solid is the Target body and the rest of the solid bodies are the Tool bodies.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Show off![2thumbsup]

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back