Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Koni electronic controlled shock absorbers (dampers) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjbltdyahoo.com

Automotive
Feb 14, 2018
US
I don't know when Koni started manufacturing the 7120 10XX XX series electronic controlled shocks, but I do know they quit in 2004 manufacturing these units. I can tell you these were used on Lamborghini and Maserati plus some other cars. What I need and am looking for is the small electric 12V stepper motor that is used inside the shocks main shaft. The whole devise for it's time is/ was very good I think for a production electrically controlled adjusting suspension devise. Problem I'm having is the electric motor goes bad after time and wear and finding a replacement is up until now impossible to find. I've looked all over the internet for electric core assemblies or parts, manufactures of said parts even E mailing many companies in China. I track down two different companies in Holland who either assembled or manufactured these core assemblies but both have gone out of business. Needless to say Koni will not give me any information about these shocks or tell me who made these motors for them. One company in China said they would re manufacture these for me if I ordered about 100 life time supplies. I have looked into RC small motors and even robot electric motors but so far no luck in finding something for a replacement motor. These are installed inside the shocks main shaft with a electric cord coming out the top. This motor changes the shocks valving by an ECU in the car somewhere and senses several pieces of data to control the shock.
Can anyone out there help me with this project?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So what are the specifications for the motor: torque, shaft configuration size length, current draw, etc. We need to know this kind of information to be able to potentially find a substitute. You have given us a compelling story, but not enough information to help you out.

The problem is this, I do not know most of the engineering data on these electric motors or been able to find it anywhere. I can give you the measurements of the motor it's self and can tell you it is a brush motor and that is about all I can give. I sent off to a "robot" manufacture and engineering company samples of this Koni core assembly to see if they could repair or replace these motors without any luck so far. I have contacted several small motor companies who either do not reply or say this is a custom motor and that is that. A very old add for replacement gave these specks: 12V, 380mA, 90R- DC geared motor, AB-phase-encoder/ 133375_ 1613804709.html. This information came from another company who did a search on the original part number and came up with this. The original part number for the Koni core replacement is 71 80 20 007 0. For some reason which I know nothing about, Koni in Holland will NOT release ANY information on or about these units and I have no idea why. I have been told before that this is kind of the way things are at Koni. ( I might add other shock absorber companies also) I'm adding some pictures of this core assembly that I have so good luck to anyone and everyone who dives into this. I've been at it for over 6 years now off and on and will admit I'm not a electric motor man. Motor size is: 14.40mm OD and 33.11 long including small gear on the end of the motor shaft.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e1c3dee4-9d04-44d4-87f5-24573fd06818&file=20_Febuary_2018_motor_pictures_001_resized.jpg
To me, this looks like a regular brushed DC motor, not a stepper motor. 12V, 380mA sounds like a reasonable spec for the voltage and current.

14.4mm (0.567") seems like an odd diameter for a motor though. The "usual suspect" with small DC motors is Mabuchi Motor of Japan, however they seem to offer nothing around the dimensions you gave. With higher end or industrial/medical applications, the usual sources for these kind of motors are Maxon, Faulhaber, Portescap and a few others, but to me, the motor definitely looks commercial/consumer grade and not industrial...

Seems to me that you have a number of possible options:

1) Lambcomponents.com Perhaps they have found an alternate motor part.

2) Rebuild the motor coils or armature yourself or have a motor winding service do it for you.

3) Find a different (better) motor and shoehorn it into the mount. As long as you can get the gear train to hook up a similar motor can do the job. If you have a working motor, measure the rpm vs voltage if you can. Then shop for a better one. Wrap it un duct tape to snug it into the mount if you gave to.

4) Drag racers use these kinds of shocks. Lots of alternates available that may do the same job. Parts, core kits, controllers and sensors seem to be plentiful on the web. There are Drag car forums, too. Ask there for help.

5) Go out on LinkedIn, find a Koni engineer in Holland or where-ever, contact them, and have them reach into a parts bin and send you a handful.

6) ebay and Amazon have sellers listing Koni Electric shock parts. Sniff it out or put it on a wish list.

Is the motor inside the shock body or external? That makes a big difference for a retrofit.

I see there have been a few responses to my questions and thank you very much everybody, any and all help is great help. To answer some of these questions you have started or asked, here goes.
The drag race shocks that are talked about, there were several brands that were used on the front of like Pro-Stock drag race cars. So, as far as I can find out, Koni was/is the only source for parts. Funny thing is ALL used Koni guts. NHRA the main origination basically outlawed them several years ago, claiming traction control??????? Funny, they were only used on the front of these race cars. It seems that unless a company with a very good product who is in racing unless there is a very large corporate sponsorship (read large amounts of money to race origination) they get outlawed! I know of several corporations who this has happened to, the largest is Chrysler corp (Hemi engine for NASCAR and the winged car in 1970, and NHRA drag racing Hemi in Pro Stock. I know, I was there).
Problem in rebuilding these motors is how they were originally assembled. The plastic ends where the brushes are have two metal tabs folded over the plastic holding it in place. When unfolding these little tabs they brake and there just isn't any room to use epoxy or rewelding because of very limited room. Have to remember, these electric motors are installed inside the shocks main shaft. The brushes seem to be the biggest problem area.
E Bay along with every shock repair company I can think of I have contacted about these core assemblies. They all say the same thing, if you come up with any please contact us!
As far as getting to a Koni engineer, I have several times and it's the same answer all the time. One engineer I know very well started asking around about this a few years ago at mother Koni in Holland and was politely told to stop asking or looking, if you really like your job! Before he was told this he said that anybody who worked on this project is either gone or retired and absolutely NO parts in any warehouse anywhere. You guys have to remember, most European companies DO NOT think or work like a USA company. When a product is over with, it's totally gone forever, period! No parts, no help no information it's really gone like it wasn't ever there! Italy is the only country that isn't totally like that that so far I've found. Italy is the country where Lamborghini is located and they asked me for help on doing these shocks. Take it from there!
To mark512, thank you for the motor companies names, I'll try and contact these companies and see if anything come from it in finding these motors. It seems that one problem is I don't need thousands of these motors, a few hundred would maybe be too much at that amount. Thanks everybody for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back