Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

kwh to kw demand chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwhit03

Electrical
Jul 7, 2007
US
I was wondering if anyone out there has a chart for residential demand based on either house square footage or kilowatt hours. I have a kwh to kw demand chart from Progress Energy, however this chart is from 1988 and the kwh only goes to 4000. I was looking for a more updated table possibly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Conversions are great for utilities to plan expansions and forecast loading on distribution circuits. KWHr. to KW demand conversions are estimates and the factor will vary fromm area to area. It will be influenced by climate, season and local typical energy use patterns.
If it is found that the factor is becoming inaccurate due to changing weather, use patterns or other factors, the utility will adjust their conversion factor.
If you want the information for a single residence, forget it. The range of inaccuracy is too great to take a chance.
If you are planning a subdivision or similar project, check with your local utility for local knowledge. Possibly take a distribution engineer to lunch. Read the NEC chapters on demand factors.
respectfully

For your information, distribution engineers are always open to be taken to lunch and actually enjoy talking about Load Factors, Coincident Factors, Demand Factors, and Responsibility Factors.

In terms of making the conversion between KWh and KW for residential customers, the utility I work for starts with a 0.4 Load Factor. This Load Factor is highly dependent on the size of the house, economic standing of the homeowner, and a multitude of other qualitative issues that seem to constantly change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back