Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kyoto and Spin 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdas04

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2002
US
Recently I was talking to a group of engineers in Indonesia and someone said "we can't do that because, unlike the U.S., we have obligations to protect the environment".

That rocked me, and I asked what the heck he was talking about (we were in Jakarta and the air is so nasty that you can't see the next sky scraper). His response was that since the U.S. didn't sign the Kyoto protocols we must just be raping and pillaging the environment.

A Canadian collegue pointed out that the U.S. has been a leader in controlling air emissions for decades and that our air-quality restrictions are far more stringent than the Indonesian restrictions. This shocked the Indonesians.

What I'm wondering is how the international media has gotten to the point where its agenda is just taken on faith with no regard to facts?

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Very good point, here is a quote:

"During the 1990s, further ice core measurements indicated that during past glacial periods, temperature changes had preceded CO2 changes by a few centuries."

There is an article from the American Physics Institute that describes this issue:

Some of the moderators in the real climate site are very direct in the way they present their arguments. However, many of the users that reply to the postings do not agree with these arguments and even challenge them openly. Also, the site has many links to articles that don't necessarily agree with the moderators. In my view, they are not exactly hiding information. The word cover-up might be a bit strong in this case.

Happy holidays

On Realclimate covering up:

See if you can post something on Realclimate addressing the methodology of MBH98. Not how close some cherry picked subsequent studies matched it, but the actual scientific methodology itself.

P.S. I already tried. They censored my question. Not a comment, a question.

Something to the effect of:

"I have heard that the MBH98 procedure usually produces a hockey stick shape when random numbers are put into it. Is that true?"

Their position is that the procedure does not "automatically" produce a hockey stick - which is true. From what I understand it's only 9 out of 10 times. So, it's not "automatically" but it is "usually".

True. However, the original got its name as it suppresses the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age, which makes the current warming appear alarming.

I just sent this note off to CBC radio, the public service radio system in Canada.
"I enjoyed the global warming phone-in on Jan 10. However after asking us what we were prepared to give up for global warming, it was really annoying to hear that our leaders in Ottawa were planning to run a refrigeration truck to keep their ice statues from melting during the unusual spell of warm weather here in the great white north. I am prepared to give up their ice statues for global warming."
We still don't have a clue about changing behaviour to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

HAZOP at

My daughter (heavily influenced by her boyfrineds grandmother who likes anything that is anti-administration) wants me to watch the movie before I give her any criticism of it. I have heard a lot of negatives, and only some mild positives from a climatology URL posted somewhere in this thread.

Could someone reply with only the good points or point to a web or article or review that gives something positive? I want to find some common ground first.

"Most of the things he says *could* be true."
Yes... that is what is so problematic about this whole discussion.

Yesterday I decided to jump in and ordered both Bjorn Lomborg's and Al Gore's books. I am trying to be as unbiased as I can and just read them and compare them. I know the two don't play in the same scientific league, but everything else I found on amazon sounded so d*mn alarmist and unscientific (after having read the first 2 chapters of "The end of oil" I am fed up with unscientific demagoguery) so I thought I might as well buy the most well-known unscientific book. Or who knows, maybe Gore will surprise me positively.

Anybody read any of these two books?

epoisses, I have read "Skeptical Environmentalist" and thought it worthwhile. I maybe don't buy into everything in it but overall thought it made sense. I especially agree with Lomborg that we need to allocate resources where they will do more immediate practical good.

Regards,

Mike

I read Lomborg's book too and would recommend it to anyone with an open mind. He certainly did a lot of research for it rather than just skimming the odd newspaper.

SnTMan -

I agree with your point about allocation. We have better things to be spending our money on. For that matter, since we don't know how bad (or even if) CO2's effect on climate change will be, the fact that it's the base of the food chain and an increase grows more flora:

means that maybe, just maybe, we're barking up the wrong tree.

Here's a good paper on the science of "global warming":

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back