Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lab batch viscosity versus big scale production viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmmacares

Chemical
Dec 10, 2011
PH
Can someone help me understand or confirm if a lab batch with 2kg batch size will really produce 50% reduction on viscosity during the actual production?

We are trying to make a body butter and a facial scrub-- emulsion products, unfortunately we couldn't re-produce the desired viscosity in the lab batch. Is this normal? I know there is really variance, but 50% reduction in viscosity is way too depressing.. and for us is not reasonable.

Can anyone give us other information what else to account for this investigation.

We are using Homogenizer, mixer, scraper and recycling of the bulk during the compounding of the actual batch. In the lab batch, only recycling was not applied due to Lab limitation.
In this case will it really provide that big difference in viscosity?
How will I know the degree of shear stress produced on those equipment mentioned above?

Hope someone will hear me...

thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Viscosity of an emulsion can be extremely sensitive at high solids loading! Can you give us an idea of your total solids, particle shape, particle size, and particle size distribution?

Good luck,
Latexman

Also you will want to make sure that the mixing in your lab batch is the same as you production mixers -- eg energy input paddle and vessel design etc. -- scale up is always a bixx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back