Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Laboratory Envelope Design and Calculations for Mechanical Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanVG

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2022
US
Before I start, I want to mention that this forum thread was very helpful to understand what other engineers do to handle lab pressure.

I wanted to reach out see if there was a chapter or resource somewhere that guides a mechanical engineer through laboratory envelope design. I work with exclusively old labs, and I would like to see if there is good data on air resistance per linear foot or per square foot for lab type assemblies. In addition, I would like to incorporate a ready to go method for calculating the pressure drop using a) door frame size and b) door size. I have seen a lot of vague-ish stuff about 100 to 200 CFM/door, around 0.025" to 0.05" dP across doors, etc. But I have not been able to find (for example) the resistance of air flow across a grid ceiling, or resistance of air behind baseboard, or recommended sweeps/seals for pressurization control. I'd like to do more than just use rules of thumb.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think when it comes to laboratories, especially older ones, rules of thumb will likely get you to a better place than precise calculations. There are just so many variables, including how each person installs ceiling grid, doors, etc. I wish I had better information for you but I will say that the ASHRAE Laboratory Design Guide is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back