Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Labyrinth Seal Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndustrialGypsie

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2013
We are planning an outage to change the Labyrinth seal on a Fr5 generator, not having had to do this previously, can anyone advise how long it should take.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Mike,

I'm interested by your response. How has this rule of thumb served you in the past (just double the amount of time someone says it will take)?

The guy who does the work, if he has done anything similar before, will have a good idea of how long it should take.
... but he will try to please you, by giving you an estimate based on having the right tools and the right parts in the right place at the right time, and not finding any ugly surprises.

Things never go that well for me.
Hence, double the estimate.
The result of doing so is very rarely conservative.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I have some older Chilton "flat rate" manuals published so repair shops would have time estimates to quote repair jobs they had not done before.
One column has "factory" time. There is another column called "Chilton" time. It was based on a skilled tech, but without actual experience with that actual operation, dirty conditions, maybe even seized fasteners etc. The Chilton time was most always longer than the factory time. Sometimes a lot. I don't think I ever beat Chilton time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back