Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ladder Chassis Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

willsie

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2009
GB
For a project I want to learn how to analyse the torsional and longitudinal stiffness and strength of a ladder chassis as used in the AC Cobra in the 1960's.

I want to use a simplified model and techniques as this is akin to a conceptual design study.
Can anyone help or point out any relevant texts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well the great news is that it is possible. I recently had cause to analyse the ladder frame in a 1955 Thunderbird, and found that the section properties were distributed almost exactly in an optimal fashion for torsional and bending stiffness. That's not to say the structure couldn't be improved, but if you just used their joint designs and general layout there wasn't much point in upgaging any one particular section.

So, I concluded that post WW2 hand analysis methods were good enough. In which case you'll probably find Bruhn to be a great help, I did when I started out validating FEA models of cars 30 years ago.

Whether the Cobra was designed to the same standard is another issue entirely.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back