Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laminated Glass Window/Windshield Inspection Procedures and Typical Defects 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WKTaylor

Sep 24, 2001
US
All... help!

I've dealt with aircraft monolithic plastic, laminated plastic, and laminated-glass windows/windshield panes for years. By experience, 'I' can ID various forms of damage, such as...

plastic/glass cracks, chips, gouges/scrateches, blast-pitting, craxing, etc...
Inner layer discoloration/delamination due to chemical/moisture intrusion/attack...
Innerlayer discoloration/delamination/bubbling/voids due to excessive heating...
Electrical over-heating and internal arcing/faults [edge elements, heater strips, etc...
Delam/disbonding of edge sealants...
Improper installation/sealing...
optical distortion, hazing, light transmissibility and clarity discrepancies...
etc...

My problem is fairly simple: I'm looking for written materials describing/illustrating these forms of damage to assist field tech training for window/windshield pane maintenance, installation, inspection and removal.... and coming up woefully short.

I have found a few articles and a few photos showing damage to windows/windhield panes.... but nothing approaching the level hoped for in this discussion/training session.

Anyone able to suggest tech training materials or tech articles with this info?

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion"]
o Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. [Picasso]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BDM 1184 Section 1.3 has written definitions of these types of damage.

The FAA Aviaition Maintenance Handbook FAA-H-8083-31 p 7-54 has some general notes on maintenance but geared to FAR 23 unpressurized.

MIL-HDBK-722 has an illustration of an impact fracture surface.

The following documents have not been reviewed but look like good bets: ASTM D 637 Surface Irregularities of Flat Transparent Plastic Sheets; ASTM D 1003 Haze and Luminous Transmittance of Transparent Plastics; ASTM F 320 Hail Impact Resistance of Aerospace Transparent Enclosures; ASTM F 330 Bird Impact Testing; ASTM F 428 Intensity of Scratches on Aerospace Glass Enclosures; ASTM F 548 Intensity of Scratches on Aerospace Transparent Plastics; ASTM F 733 Optical Distortion and Deviation of Transparent Parts; ASTM F 801 Measuring of Optical Angular Deviation; BSS-7231 Crazing Test Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back