Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lamp Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

foleyspark

Electrical
Aug 10, 2005
US
Does a fixture need to be de-energized merely to replace a lamp? (assume HID hi-bay for now)

Is de-energization only applicable if the the work would involve exposing live conductors?...such as in a ballast replacement, etc...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What’s the medium or long answer? :)

It appears to be do-able from looking at OSHA 1910.333(a)(1) & 1910.333(a)(1) if I have qualified people and proper techniques, tools, etc.

I was curious if anyone had direct experience with this issue. We will likely require de-energizing first as a rule, but I would be willing to bet that most would replace a burnt out (cold) lamp without caring too much about whether the fixture is on or off...and I am not convinced about there being any perceptible risk... (until the one time in a trillion that something bad would happen...)

Some lamp manufacturer's say to de-energize, not sure if the ballast or fixture manufacturer's state anything.

Is there an OSHA anonymous hotline? :)

OK, not quite as short answer, refer to the 2009 NFPA 70E, where you will find what it takes to do energized work.

Medium answer, either you have to justify the energized work because denergizing poses a greater threat to safety than working live (Good luck because they used to have "removal of illumination from an area" as a justifiable reason and removed that in the most recent edition), and even if you can justify it you need to fill out an Energized Electrical Work Permit, including the risk analysis. Or, you can denergize it.

Dont make me post the long answer.

And yes, you can write a letter to OSHA asking anything and get a letter of interpration on the topic. They enforce the 70E as a industry standard through the general duty clause.

The medium answer is that changing the bulbs presents a hazard from exposed live electrical connections in direct proximity to the person whom is performing the work. The other concern is the possibiliy for the bulb to explode from the sudden flow of current, and if the technician doesn't get a good connection there is also a potential for arcing.

OSHA's standard for electrical safety has always been a slippery slope in that it is very ambiguous and references a lot of other standards (NFPA 70E, NEC, etc.) Best practice is to perform the work de-energized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back