Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN wired advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlosA

Computer
Sep 21, 2002
MX
Which is the best kind of wire, if I need to install a LAN network between 3 buildings, and the wire must be in placed outside the buildings.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Distance and security will be critical to this. Copper wired LAN's will have distance limitations on the physical length on the LAN. Bridging devices will tend to have lower bandwidth than the LAN itself.

The best option is likely to be fibre, and simple LAN repeaters. This will effectively extend the LAN at normal bandwidth. If you want to have separate, but interconnected LAN's, then you'll need to used bridges or routers.

Any help ???

I would suggest three 10/100 switches, interlinked with fiber. There are many switches out there with a fiber interface already integrated into the package. This will keep the inter-switch communications from becomming a potential bottleneck.
If you do not require managed switches, you can find these devices relatively cheap by searching the www. Managed switches are quite cost effective as well.
As far as sepparate and interconnected LANs, this can also be accomplished with switches that support VLANs and port trunking. If you have no experience with routers, and want to accomplish this task yourself, I would go the switch route if you are not trying to interface with the outside world.

Carlos,

Linking different buildings implies grounding problems, I wouldn't use copper wiring. As previous answers recomend, use fiber optic adapters to link the buildings, and rather use switches.
If the distance is beyond the capacity of the adapters & fiber available, or digging trenches not an option; think in Wireless LAN devices. There is a good variety of choices, but going outdoor wireless is something that require some engineering. Have a look at if you decide go wireless.

Ricardo

Just a quick note on wireless LAN:
If you go this route, make sure you enact all security precations available with the system, as well as with your network. DO NOT use any factory default settings on wireless LAN devices. This could be a potential hole in your network, allowing easy access to thoes who you may not want snooping around your computers.

Carlos,

Robertjo's warning is real. That's why I suggested that link. They don't use WEP or DES encryption. They use AES, which is the new NSA standard in US for wireless, con confidential communications.

Ricardo

Carlos,

Robertjo's warning is real. That's why I suggested that link. They don't use WEP or DES encryption. They use AES, which is the new NSA standard in US for wireless, non-confidential communications.

Ricardo

I think robertjo24 has given you a good option. If you are going outside with this thing, fiber will also protect you from lightning as it doesn't conduct electricity.

Hi there
I am owner of internet cafey i want to sucure my network. please send the procedure of applying security policy in win 2000. or send me the copy of seucre policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back