Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Land Development Engineer Supply 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BangaloreBackOffice

Civil/Environmental
Nov 17, 2006
US
For the past 15 years, our Northern Virginia-based land development engineering firm struggled to hire and retain top talent, to meet the needs of our owner developer clients. In fact, on many, many occasions, we had to turn away work because we didn't have the staff to take it on. That is frustrating!

Have any of you had similar experiences? So then, how do you grow in size and profitability?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does your firm promote from within? Its very discouraging to keep plugging away, knowing that when a good position is open someone "with great experience" from another firm will get it.

Does your firm provide an incentive for passing the PE or getting more education? If not, an ambitious person may decide to work somewhere else that will pay better once they get registered.

There is a good chance that things will slow down and you will not have to worry about turning work away - you will be trying to keep busy.

Instead of turning work away, raise your rates until the work offered equals the staff capabilities. Pay bonuses to your help at successful completion of projects and watch the resumes flood in!

Civil Person has the right idea. I offer my employees a bonus for the work and revenue that is brought into the firm. The more work = a better pay and better raises. I review them every 6 months and let them know where we need to improve. I have a small firm but we are very productive in the high volume and low cost projects.

One of the main reason tallented people leave their work place is that they are not being challenged and given the opportunities and responsibilities they desire. In my past 12 years I have met many talented engineers that are frustrated not with their compensation but the lack of responsibility and challenges they are seeking. Lets not forget that we became engineers because we love the challenges of solving problems and most of us share the belief that we can solve anything if we are given the chance. The secret to retaining your staff is to teach your managers the proper skills to utilize all of the team members talents and skills regardless of titles and education and make sure they are rewarded for their efforts. Sometimes just a sincere thank you is all it takes.

Don't hire on a budget. Go after and pay the best candidates. They can typically produce far more than lower level "budget" employees.

What kind of salary and compensation package, i.e. bonuses, training, advancement, raises do your competitors offer? Are you a privately owned company or publicly traded company?

To be competitive you must offer similar or better than your competition to attract the talent you seek. Managerial interaction with employees is next. Do you lead by example? train and nurture their careers? Or use intimidation and fear to motivate? If the salaries are high, an employee can put up with a lot of bull, but if not, they watch the clock and keep an eye out for the first available job that offers more.

In order for a company to remain in business, it must be profitable, but if the owner of a privately owned company is driving a Rolls Royce and the employee a Honda, then the owner complains about not making enough profit, well, there is something wrong with that picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back