Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Land Development Textbook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparticus17

Civil/Environmental
Jun 3, 2004
CA
I am a fresh graduate from University hired by a land development firm. I was wondering if you guys/girls could recommend me some good land development or transportation books that you use as references for design and construction.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, Sparticus17:

You may be fine with your city's subdivision design codes and DOT's guidelines. Also, you may find useful the Land Development book by the National Association of Home Builders.

Hope this helps,
Roberttx.

it will be very important for you to learn the local codes and ordinances in your area. Also, depending on what part of the design you are involved with, you will need good books on drainage, water and sewer design, grading and earthwork, survey, street design. Any good textbook would work for these.

Currently I am involved in the design of drainage, water and sewer design, grading and earthwork, and street design.
This "good textbook" to aid me with these designs is what I am looking for cvg. Could you recommend some good ones. I am using the city design standards and TAC manuals. I need textbooks that help me in design (example would be designing a pump station,etc.)

Here are a few favorites:

Chow, V.T., 1959, Open-channel hydraulics: New York, McGraw-Hill, 680 p.

Maidment, D.R., (Editor in Chief), Handbook of Hydrology, McGraw-Hill, 1400pp., 1993.

Chow, V.T., D.R. Maidment and L.W. Mays, Applied Hydrology, McGraw-Hill, New York, 570 pp., 1988.

King, Horace W., and Brater, Ernest F. 1963. Handbook
of Hydraulics, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc.,
New York, NY.

Also, check out the US Army Corps of Engineers, FHWA and Bureau of Reclamation websites for many good engineering manuals online, regarding all aspects of civil engineering.

Try the city and county codes. Sometimes they conflict, and you need to be sure of the jurisdiction. If all else fails, ask one of the older engineers in your firm. They are usually quite eager to train a younger engineer to share their load.

Thank you cvg for the list of books with authors. Does anyone know of any solid transportation textbooks they use as references for design. I don't need transportation modelling books.

Thanks

I just recently graduated school and just finished a transportation class and the instructor recommended the following book. I have been working for a developer for the past two months and used the book three times. My manager had me copy a chapter in it so the rest of our group could benefit from its insight. So I think this is a great reference.

"Principles of Highway Engineering and Traffic Analysis." Second Edition. Fred L. Mannering and Walter P. Kilareski. 1998.

If you would like to see a chapter from it I can send you the one I scanned in. It would give you an idea of how the book is laid out before you go buying it.

this one covers all aspects--politics and design.

Land Development Handbook (Handbook)
by The Dewberry Companies
Hardcover: 1124 pages
Dimensions (in inches): 11.00 x 1.75 x 8.25
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Professional; 2 edition (March 29, 2002)
ISBN: 0071375252
$123 new, ~$90 used

search for "land development" under "books" on amazon.com, if this link doesn't take you there:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back