Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Landfill Liner Slope Stability (Static & Seismic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geotech_Pavement

Geotechnical
Sep 21, 2020
US
Is anyone familiar with adhesion and interface friction shear strength properties obtained from interface shear tests (large scale sandwich tests using soils and geosynthetics) ?
We use these interface shear strength properties for landfill liner-soil slope stability.

I want to know if it is normal or unconservative to use interface adhesion/cohesion shear strength for slope landfill liner-soil slope stability. I always thought it was normal to only use interface friction angle for landfill slope stability. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Alex

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to consider all of the failure modes, as the slope failure may occur in the waste itself. It doesn't do you any good to have a liner (cap or bottom) that is stable if the underlying material (soil for bottom liner, waste for cap) if the failure mechanism will occur in the materials you didn't evaluate.

I read the books by Koerner and other work about adhesion but I have no faith in designing a slope which relies on material sticking by adhesion to a geosynthetic which degrades. Usually consider a discount on the friction angle of triaxial or shear box tested material or a literature value interface friction angle between material and the geosynthetic for a landfill cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back