Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lap Welds 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnewt

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2008
CA
My question is this: At what point, if ever, does a lap weld become a fillet weld?

It is my understanding that a 'lap' is a type of JOINT, not a type of WELD. A 'fillet' is a WELD, not a JOINT. A fillet WELD is used to join either a tee or lap JOINT.

It would also follow that the term "lap weld" would technically be inaccurate.

I ask because i would like to weld a slip-on flange onto a length of 24" pipe, however the buyer spec contains the following clause, word for word: "LAP WELDS are not permitted."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agnewt,

When in doubt, ASK the buyer. The clause, "LAP WELDS are not permitted", may not even apply to your flange to pipe joint. The buyer probably intended that clause for longitudinal or circumferential weld joints on pipes, shells, heads or caps; and not on corner joints (slip-ons).

Lap joints may also contain groove welds. Though it is an uncommon practice it can occur.

I strongly agree that the referring to "Lap Welds" is incorrect and misleading.

Also, in my opinion a slip on flange is a lap joint so your desire to use a slip on flange may be prohibited by the interpretation that the "Lap Welds" are referring to "Lap Joints". That would also prohibit you from using any socket welded coupling.

I think clarification is needed from the specifier.

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back