Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Laptop for solidworks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jun 27, 2009
CA
Hi,
I am looking for a laptop for running solidworks 2009 and found this laptop fit my price.
I am not an intensive user rarely work on big models. I just review, model and sometimes test on my models using cosmos. Could anyone review the spec and suggest me whether this laptop is good, also I know graphics card is important does this card satisfies my requirements. any further help or suggestions are welcome

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6570
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9300M GS 256MB
250GB 7200RPM
Genuine Windows Vista Business downgrade to Windows XP Professional,English
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz, 2 DIMM

Thanks for the help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Like CBL mentioned, your card isn't an approved card, which could cause you headaches. I use a Dell M4300 and haven't had any real issues with it.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
CAD Administrator, Ultimate Survival Technologies
My Blog

Did anyone use other than the SW approved cards like NVIDIA GEOFORCE cards and did they have any problems?
The reason I am asking as these cards are dedicated 256-512mb should it not be enough memory to run the software.

It has nothing to do with memory.

Some people are lucky and do not have problems, other than no RealView capability.

Other people have annoying graphics glitches that are an inconvenience.

Still others have graphics glitches that render the software nigh unusable.

Others crash SolidWorks.

If you use an unapproved card, it will be blamed (justly or not) for any and every problem you have with the software. Nobody (especially SW) will try much to help you with any issues you may have when using an unapproved card.

Russian roulette, anyone?

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

handleman is right on. If you are serious about setting up a SolidWorks computer of any sort, then use an approved video card.

if the laptop has a dedicated graphics card can we change it to SW approved grahics card, will the laptop still work fine

If it's a dedicated card, I believe it's hard mounted to the motherboard. However, if the laptop is capable of accepting another card, and you can put an approved one in, you should be ok.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
CAD Administrator, Ultimate Survival Technologies
My Blog

I agree with Handleman on the video card. Your VAR will blame everything on the card.

Be sure that you are getting XP-64 for an OS. Otherwise you will need to use the 3-gig switch for your ram. You are buying a 64-bit processor, might as well put it to good use.

I would highly suggest Dell's precision m2400 or m4400 for what you plan on doing. You can get pretty good bang for your buck at the Dell Outlet (~ $1200) and they come with SW approved open GL graphics cards.

I often read that vista x65 is better than xp64. I have vista 64 on a Loaded Dell M4400. It is working really good. Don't wate your time with Geforce you'll be more trouble free on a Quattro, it is designed for that.

Robin

Agreed about nVidia Quadro cards being better than GeForce. (The SW hardware compatibility list would also agree.) However, I have had bad experiences with Vista. We have two machines running Vista at my workplace... one has x64 and the other has x32. Both have had their installations corrupted to the point of needing repair... multiple times. I personally prefer XP over Vista; however, there is the issue of Microsoft eventually discontinuing support for XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back