Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

laptop that run Pro/e and simple FEA- Centrino or Pentium4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaykm

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2004
US
Hi All,
I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this :).

I wanted a recommendation on the laptops that can run fairly big CAD models and relatively simple FEA models.

We had zeroed down on a laptop with P4 3GHz/800FSB,512MB Ram laptop. And someone got to read an article about Centrino's speed/performance being comparable to that of P4 and improved thermal performance. That has put us in a dilema.

We 4 friends are planning to buy the laptops together. Any indicator in this regard as to which one gives us the needed performance (Should have very good CAD handling capabilities- the kind that doesn't take forever to reshade a model during a product demo or hang during a simple meshing operation!!).

Thanks again,
Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It all depends what you want. A desktop based laptop will give you better performance. The Centrino will be slower but have better battery life ect. If you need a certified system you will need a cad graphics card and a mobile workstation.

I've been doing some similar research, On PTC's website they have a list of certified systems that will run Pro/E from 2001 to WF 2. There is also a section for certified graphic cards. I do know that my company has been buying Dell M60's as portable workstations, not entirely sure what changes were made as far as the graphics card etc. but I haven't heard many complaints.

Eholmes

Thanks HDS and eholmes for the feedback.
As you rightly said, graphic cards and compatibility play a big role apart from Number crunching capability.

We have decided to go ahead with Dell M60. (Centrino 1.7GHz,400FSB,128MB dedicated Graphics card..) and looks like it is certified for MCAD use by different companies/user groups.

Thanks,
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back