Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

laptop usb port

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesarm

Electrical
Dec 6, 2001
VE
Hi everyboady. I have a laptop DELL inspiron 1300. I want to use it for linking with PLC but it have`nt a serial port. it only have USB port. can anybody recommend me any model or brand?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These USB-serial converters absolutely will not work with A-B's 1747-PIC, so don't waste your time or money trying. Thankfully they have released a USB replacement in the form of the 1747-UIC which is reasonably priced and works reliably, two notable improvements over the 1747-PIC!

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

But, is it an AB PLC the OP is using?

I don't see why an USB/232 adapter that works with all systems I have tested (drives, PLCs, development systems, measurement interfaces) shouldn't work in his case - which we do not know much about.

Gunnar Englund

Yes, very good question! Which PLC?

A-B's problem stems from the 1747-PIC being quite an old product. It draws power from the port, and is quite power-hungry by the modern standards. The power requirement is met by the original PC/AT serial port spec from years ago, but more modern computers are able to supply less power from their serial ports. Laptops are probably the worst in this respect, but my PIC doesn't work reliably with newer desktops either. A-B's solution, as you might guess, is 'buy different hardware'.

I wonder if it is practical to incorporate a small external power source to run the PIC?

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

In 2005 i purchased an Acer Travelmate 2355XC laptop. i was so exited to own my own laptop that i did not notice it did not have a serial port. In the manual it said that you could have one fitted if you required it. I asked around and was advised that you could use a USB to RS232 adaptor. I purchased a Meccer USB to 232 adaptor from a computer store and it works great. I have used it on Moeller Easy PLC,s and Omron. I have not been able to get it to work with a Telemechanique plc though.

I had some problems when developing a microcontroller based measuring systems. Whenever I connected one of these in the serial port of the device, the readings went crazy. However, the grounding and shielding weren't very good... which might have something to do with it. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back