Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

large diameter nozzles in heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockpaul

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2003
GB
My problem /question, vessel inside diameter 84", 2:1 dished head, outlet nozzle required in top head which has an i/d of 48", with reniforcment nozzle o/d 68". Alougth acceptable to code & calc's the head is left with knuckle area only.

Alternative hemi head or cone with 30 deg angle to avoid knuckle radius.

My question is using cone on the reinforcment of the 48"Nozzle ?

The 84" vessel wall thickness is 90 mm and at nozzle end 48"I/D for pressure 50 mm. Do I need to consider any further reinforcment. The cone would be manufactured from 90 plate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to satisfy 1-5 for the reinforcement of cone-to-cylinder junctures. I would expect that no additional reinforcement is required at the small (48") end, but if the 90 mm thickness is fully required by pressure with no margins (as normally would be) a reinforcement is likely to be required at the large end. This reinforcement would normally be provided as an overthickness in the cone, but of course this is not necessarily a good solution in your conditions.
Why you don't want the hemiellipsoidal solution? In my opinion this is better (provided all the criteria for pressure dimensioning are met, of course): it is also shorter, but possibly this is unimportant in your situation.

prex

Online tools for structural design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back