Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

large opening in wood diapphragm 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would probably try to treat it the same as a door opening in a wall. It can't be much different than that.

Before you ask, I'd probably try to treat it as two separate segments that are 12'x34'. That's not outside the realm of possible for a wood diaphragm. What supports the opening, built-up joists or stairwell walls?

These ones too:

Link
Link

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Malone's book also goes into some good examples on how to deal with openings:

@KootK

The CWC paper looks like a nice treatment of openings, I'll have to read through that one but the metric in it almost makes one feel like it is written in a completely different language. Do Canadian engineers really do their calcs in Newtons? I grew up in Terrace B.C. Canada (on a potato farm) and we did use metric in school but the lumber was all in imperial units (ie. 2x4s, 1/2 ply etc...)

A confused student is a good student.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, PE

medeek said:
Do Canadian engineers really do their calcs in Newtons?

The younger ones definitely do. Kilonewtons at least. I just can't "feel" metric values I'm afraid, despite its obvious rationality. I also dislike detailing in metric due to the lack of nice round numbers. 39x140...yeesh.

Terrace is nice country. I was born in Trail and grew up in Cranbrook. We were practically neighbors!

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I get the metric advantages too but at the same time I think there are some disadvantages too. If they ever force it upon us though I will probably hang up the engineering hat and go work as a Walmart greeter.

A confused student is a good student.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back