Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

large PAGE file during multiple analyses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hup

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2006
CZ
Hey Ansys folks, hopefully you can help me:

I run structural and thermal analyses in an automatic loop consisting of many (thousands) steps (solutions). After each solution I basically need only several result (DOF vaues), which I save into result arrays and run the solution again with modified input parameters. However, although I try to erase previous result files (rth, rst) and restart anlyses with no dependency to the past, I see gradually swelling PAGE file which reaches horrible sizes.

Occasional /CLEAR would probably solve the problem but I don't want to build the model again and again. Maybe I am missing something in the principle of PAGE file (my model is small, the PAGE must be full of unneeded results).

Does anybody know a comfortable way to selectively "clear" workspace and to get rid of data I don't need?

Thanks a lot, H-up

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Getting more memory in your system would help. Another thing you can do is assign values for -m and -db when starting a session. I find Ansys doesn't use all the memory it can in a Win 32 environment and many times manually specifying these helps tremendously.

Thank you, Stringmaker. But in my case it seams that the PAGE swells gradually with number of partial solutions (even though I clear results as much as I can during the loop) - reaching more than 20GB. A single solution easily fits into 50MB of memory....

I just solved the problem by: save -> /clear -> resume
but I am still curious what actually happens in the PAGE file...

Thanks anyway, H-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back