Laser cut sheet metal clips / snaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhenke

Civil/Environmental
Aug 13, 2012
US
Hi All,

In the attached image you'll see a clip I've designed on a 1mm thick 3003 H14 aluminum part that is meant to retain another 1mm thick aluminum plane that is slotted to slip over the part with the clip.

This seems to be working ok, but I was thinking that there must be better clip geometries that allow greater deflection without yielding, are more compact, etc.

I'd like the clip to be created entirely with a laser cutting process, without additional parts or components.

Is anyone aware of a resource for clip designs of this type?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=71854b3b-cfd3-4b01-a262-9386b614cdad&file=Capture.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your image pasted so everyone can see without extra download/open cycles.
Capture_jkodws.jpg

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
STF

@BUGGAR
Laser cutting gives a much cleaner cut edge, its more precise and is much less maintenance than water jets.
So for something this small laser cutting is probably the better option

Except for the re-cast layer on laser cut.
This is a big deal with corrosion on stainless, but I don't know if this is an issue with Al.
As for the geometry, I am surprised that you didin't have a larger diameter radius at the root of that notch.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back