Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laser pointer for centering sprinkler heads 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryano669

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2008
US
Years ago I remember using a laser pointer specifically made to fit in a 2x2 ceiling grid that aided in centering the sprinkler heads. It projected a plumb line vertically that one could measure to. I have researched the internet but haven't been able to find one. I am hoping someone here is familiar with it and could recommend a manufacturer. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How much does one of those cost?!
In my seventeen years, we always used a "whirly bird" (a piece of uni-strut or wood 23.75 inches long to fit into a 2x2 tile, a couple of nuts, washers, and a piece of all thread rod at the center point. Total cost: Free picked up of the floor. Value: Priceless. My heads have always been center tile +/- .0001"'s.
I also have a "swirley bird"(my invention) with the rod offset on one side fore use in gypsum ceilings where 2x2 is not standard.
If your men can't center up heads, what would you be willing to pay a relocate Guru?
If its a purely curiosity question, I would suggest checking out HILTI's web site.
I've never had a salesman try and sale me one. Of course I'm sure I would have laughed at his or her price.

If we all agreed, we would be Communists. - Me

Ok, I probably should have elaborated. My guys can center heads very well actually, but this application where the 1" outlet will be about 8' above an existing GWB ceiling would be made much easier with a laser plumb line. This is a retrofit job, where the man below the ceiling will be cutting the holes, with the guy above fitting to them. An 8' piece of all thread is kind of hard to keep plumb. As a side note, I once saw a man get impaled in the eye by one of your whirl birds that was hanging off the side of a ladder. The laser I am referring to is very inexpensive (just a laser pointer really) and the jig it mounts to is cheap aluminum.

+/- a ten-thousandth (I think thats right)of an inch? Really? You might just be the best sprinkler centerer ever...

Ryan thank you for recognizing greatness. I have heard that many times over the years. [wink]
I had a similar situation years ago. Plumb bobbed that one (last time I waste my time, no ceilings installed yet, working off RCP). I agree that a laser is helpful and in some applications a necessity, of course most sprinkler companies are looking to save a dime even at the cost of the field guys sanity.
However I regress, might it not be more prudent to cut a seven foot drop down piece and the treat it as a "standard" add and relocate. Of course without seeing actual field conditions, I might as well be a air conditioner salesman telling you how you should do it.
As far as the accident with the whirly bird. No tool should ever be left on top of a ladder, however, accidents happen.

Just use a "whirly bird" like sprink131371 said. If it gets lost it will cost you nothing and in cases is more reliable than any other tool in the market.

Ahhhh NJ1, sounds like you've done it a few times yourself. Of course he could always resort to the most common method. Spot the heads on the print and say it is now the fields problem. We always figure it out.

Communists huh? LOL
I just believe that if the whirly bird works and is very reliable, as a business owner why would I want to buy expensive tools of that nature for field personnel to be careless and irresponsible. Dont you agree?

The laser pointer video was quite entertaining.
It wouldn't last two days on the project I am on now without twenty four hour security. Tools and copper seem to sprout legs these days.

ah thought we were done with this, if you can't plumb the outlet or head down and plumb the center of a tile down then figure the distance, subtract the fitting takeouts and cut the pipe.....well go home I'll do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back