Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Laser Tape Measure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrpiper

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2007
US
Has anyone used or know of a laser device that one person can use to get accurate measurement of pipe and supports for hard to access pipe systems.

Thanks for your replies!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There certainly is, and they are affordable. For the life of me, I can't remember what they are called. Post here, guaranteed these folks will know; many of them have them, I'm sure.

Forums > Civil / Environmental Engineers > Activities
Surveying & Geomatics Forum

When you find out what it is called, please consider trying here. In full disclosure, they are part of the Parent of my A/E firm; but I do not directly benefit from your shopping here:

Signature under construction, sorry about the mess - Steve

I've used them, too, 'Inch, and they are easy and accurate; you can see what the laser hits, to avoid reading trees/poles (in my case), or other pipes/ducts (as would probably be engrpiper's concern)...but what are they called?

Oh... it was this
A Leica - "Ultra High Speed Laser Scanner"

mbdf132710eadd2ki0.th.jpg

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

Rangefinders, yes, thanks btrueblood. That was getting like one of those "Oh, man, what was that guy's name" deals. I laid awake for hours...OK, not hours...OK, I didn't lay awake, but it bugged me.

LHA,

Glad it's not just me. Met a gent the other day, chatted with him at lunch. Saw him again the next morning and completely blanked on his name. The short term memory goes first they say...if I can just remember who "they" are...

I dunno, BigInch, using my own, God-spec foot (and compensating for the difference between mine and the distance between some guy's nose and the tip of his outstretched hand) works well for me.

Seriously though, laser scanning has many advantages, one of them being objectivity - assuming that the setup laser guys are well-trained. You end up with a "data cloud" (think connect-the-dots) which can be imported into various 3D CAD piping programs. Very nice, but relatively expensive at the outset.

Remember that the quality of field measurement often depends on the crew's experience and the ambient weather. Frozen fingers don't hold a plumb bob or tape measure very well.

Good laser pointers, paintball guns and many photos from different angles might be an on-the-cheap solution.

I think Disto is one manufacturer of laser measuring devices. Just make sure your measurement guy is a knowledgeable piper or you might end up with dimensions to something irrelevant:

Measure Guy: "Look, I followed all the manufacturer's instructions, twice, just to make sure!"
Field Guy: "Then why is the tie-point 6 5/16" off?
Measure Guy: "I dunno, I made sure I was lined-up X-Y and put the laser spot on the 'pipe' wall."
Field Guy: "Was the laser spot on something shiny?"
Measure Guy: "Umm, maybe. But I'm SURE it was the pipey thing I was supposed to shoot."

Gentlemen -just a quick safety note - Most if not all measuring utilizing devices like these is performed in operational facilities. Don't forget that "hot work" permits are required before even entering to start work.ALL sources of ignition must be cleared before useage.

I use a Leica Disto Lazer Measurer Rangefinder. My boss has measured 600' with it. I've measured several distances of over 100'. We have an atachment, held magnetically, on side that is basically a small telescope, tinted red to make it easy to find the little red dot, enev in bright sunlight from great distances away.
You could check out

The rangefinders I've used (inexpensive hand-helds) for quick measurements of existing rooms are pretty inaccurate, off as much as 3'-6" in 20' and not consistently so. Very disappointing. They should have some kind of calibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back