Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Laser welding strength calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Altfeld

Structural
May 7, 2024
US
Does anyone have any experience with strength calculations for laser welding? Our company has just purchased a machine, and immediately the shop wants to use it for a structural purpose. We are welding a 3/16" aluminum plate to a 3/8" thick structural aluminum angle. Of course the visible bead is tiny, so doing my usual calculations for a fillet weld are just not representative. I need to estimate the penetration depth.
laser_weld_sketch_vilf7a.jpg

Any input would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Laser welding with or without filler wire?
Aluminium needs some time to solidify (and to give time to the trapped gases to rise to the surface). My experience with laser welding on aluminium isn't great. Almost impossible to mitigate porosity in production. Combined with the very small leg length/throat height/weld size, I wouldn't use it for structural purposes.

Do you want to know the details? Weld a PQR (ASME IX - 2024 incorporates laser welding!), ISO also has some interesting docs. Or, alternatively, just get some macro's (on production parts!) and assess weld quality and size / penetration depth.

Thank you, I will have the shop make samples for testing, I had first thought that was the right idea, but the shop magicians were distracting me by beating the part with a hammer and standing on it to prove how strong it is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back