Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lasers Vs. Waterjets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our company is planning on buying a cutting machine, We are a sheetmetal fabricator company and we have an issue. What would be the best way to go a waterjet or a Laser machine?
what are the pros and cons of both machines. Please advise

thank
Juanito

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Juanito,

I think one thing you need to consider is how much floor space do you have for such a machine. Both are quite capable at cutting. I would think it really depends on the energy consumption of each one. Also, would you be able to maintain this machine with your current maintenance crews? Hope this helps :)

JeffdlS

Hi Juanito,

The main difference between the methods is in the finish. Laser cutting produces heat at the cutting point, which can leave little drops of slag attached to the edge of the cut, and possibly a little blueing of the metal. These require some finishing work, if you are trying to produce very high quality work.

Water jetting is cold cutting, and leaves a clean edge.

Apart from that, you have the normal equations regarding capital cost and running costs.

Regards,

Pete.

We've just bought a WJ machine, and I have to say it's amazing. It will go through anything, no HAZ, no burrs, is fast, clean, simple, and easy to use. We bought it for a simple job, and its now being used for anything and everything, including cutting the MDs kitchen floor tiles to size. Couldn't do that with a laser!
The only downsides:
Very high accuacy is a no-no. Because it's a jet of water, the 'cutter' is actually slightly cone shaped. (we're talking 0.001" or so).This problem is obviuously a function of the depth of cut, so might not be a problem. In a similar way, you tend to get an angle on corners unless you back off the feed, as the jet 'bends' out as you go round. This is a very, very minor problem really, and is not really an issue.
Another minor headache is unless you have a posh machine, every few months you need to shut the thing off, drain the tank, and dig out all the spent garnet thats settled to the bottom. A pump and settling tank solves this, so again: minor worry.
Also, if you have to cut in air, for any reason, (to big a job, can't get the material wet) it's incredibly noisy. Cuttin g submerged is almost silent however.
Another advantage over a laser is it's very very simple. It's just a big pump pushing a lot of water through a small hole. Not much to go wrong there. Also, no worry about sparks, laser radiation, or any of that H&S stuff. You don't even really need guarding on it. Very easy to set up too, just fill it with water, switch it on, and you're ready to cut.
For more good stuff, go to I'm totally impressed by these things, and would go water jet all the way. I keep boring my collegues with how amazing it is!

I am from the Texas area and would recommend plasma cutter. I believe you have to look at cost as well. I have been involved with Ultra high pressure water jettering. The range that I dealt with was 40,000. When you get into water jetting there is more maintenance that the old gas method. I believe gas may have cheaper operating costs, though It seems that research should be done on maintenance cost over the year.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back