Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

latched input

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigheadted

Electrical
Jul 22, 2005
GB
anyone have any experienced of inputs being latched on on plcs and suggestions to the possible causes. I have heard that poor neutral faults can cause this but cant really see how

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It surely can/could. Especially if your input is directly into a CMOS gate without opto-coupler. There is a set of parasitic SCRs in the CMOS structure and they can (or rather, could) be turned on if more than a certain amount of current (a few tens of mA was sufficient) was forced into the input pin.

But that is history. Gone. No problem anymore. A badly designed system that relied on connection to the neutral to reduce input voltage could cause that phenomenon if you lost the neutral. So that part of the story is also plausible.

But do not use that as an explanation for problems in a modern PLC. All major CMOS manufactorer have "Latch-Up-Hardened" inputs nowadays.

Gunnar Englund

bigheadted

I know 120 volts into a DC input card will permanently latch the input. I saw it done TWICE in a row by the same technician. He did not appreciate the humor I found in the situation, but we ALL make mistakes (especially me at times).

Bigbillnky,C.E.F.....(Chief Electrical Flunky)

If you have longs runs of cable between the contact, the voltage source and an ac input module, in some cases the capacitance of the conductor is sufficient to trick the input circuit into thinking the contact is still closed after it opens.

The capacitive reactance forms a parallel path with the remote contact.

Also, at least in the past, driving an input directly from a solid-state output module can cause the input to latch.

skogsgurra
thanks for your reply. the input was 24vdc i actually disconnected the wire to it. could you explain the cmos bit a little further for me
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back