Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lateral bracing - light-guage partition walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThorenO

Structural
Jan 8, 2013
US
Hello,

I've got a network of intersecting 9' offices of varying sizes that I am trying to brace above the ceiling
for the interior 5psf loading. See attached.
Hatched walls are full-ht to the deck at ~30'.

Here is what I'm working with in lieu of diagonal bracing.

Detail 1: Horizontal "top of wall girt" to span to the next brace point / intersecting wall.
Detail 2: "top of wall strut" to drag to an intersecting wall or column.
Detail 3: Corner bracing, which may not do any good.

The back-to-back studs are wobbly and won't span far enough.
Is it easy to make them boxed with stitch welds.
I'm trying to avoid full fledged box-beams.

Is the 45 degree corner bracing doing any good? I hear it's useful for the mechanical contractors to set things on, which won't help me.
What other configuration(s) would work better?

Here is a previous thread for reference with a similar situation.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like details 1 and 2.
I rarely do interior metal stud design and when I do, it usually goes to the deck.
Most interior walls I see are braced by the dropped ceiling grid :>

I notice that the long wall, on the left, between Details 1 & 2 is full height, but, the lower walls (on the left) with the OH doors next to the service doors, are not hatched, and thus, not full height.

Is that whole area (that is cut off from our view) a wide open area with exterior OH doors and also without ceiling grid? A wide open area with exterior OH doors will promote an interior lateral pressure, sometimes in excess of 5 psf. IF that area on the left does NOT have ceiling grid, i would consider making the aforementioned walls full height, similar to the bottom, full height walls, thus, closing off the apparent office area (on the right) from lateral pressure. Excess lateral pressure could occur above the ceiling grid which could cause unexpected and annoying deflections and audible disturbances from the pressure on the ceiling grid of the office area.

ANY areas that have OH doors and no ceiling grid, perhaps, such as the area with Detail 2 in it, i suggest you make full height walls.

Other than that, it looks like you are considering reasonable bracing options.

I definitely would NOT consider the ceiling grid for lateral support. If all building openings and envelope configurations warrant necessary lateral bracing, to depend on the ceiling grid for lateral support, may welcome the popping of some ceiling tiles and other unexpected annoyances as stated above.

The corner braces will certainly help more than hinder. I may consider them in the future if the situation warrants.

I also have never considered top of wall girts such as you have. Interesting. I will consider those for the future as well.

I Hope i've help more than confused.

Thank you for the input.

Yes, the other walls are full-ht also, effectively cordoning off the offices.
Good thing, because I had some trouble with the long runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back