Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lateral design for high plane aspect ratio 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjhubo

Structural
Jul 29, 2003
CA
I am working on the lateral design of a 4-stroy residential construction, which has the first story built with CMU, and upper stories with wood frame. Since located in city, the house has a plane size of 18’x70’. Furthermore, the owner wants to make a big opening at the front 18’ wall for commercial.

Since IRC is not applicable, are there any empirical or conventional design methods for this kind of building? Any information and/or suggestion on lateral support system will be greatly appreciated.

BTW: The site has a basic wind speed of 90 mph, and a seismic design category of B.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Under the IBC (which I suppose you are under) you can use what's called "Light Framed Construction" as an empirical design method but only with certain design restrictions (of which I really don't think your building would fall under).

For the front wall, you'd have to use some sort of open, moment frame system with two or three columns and a cross beam at the top of the first floor. This creates a soft lower story which puts you into an irregular building per seismic criteria, but with a B - it may not be a big deal.

I agree with JAE, unless you can use some interior walls as shear walls. But I suspect these 18' long interior walls, with openings through them, may not be very effective.

DaveAtkins

Thank JAE and DaveAtkins for your helpful reply.

I am wondering if I could use some CMU buttress to take the lateral load for this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back