Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lateral forces on retaining wall from wheel loads 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyt4

Structural
Nov 19, 2007
US
I am designing a retaining wall which could potentially have HS20-44 wheel loads surcharging the earth on the back of the wall.

Using a variation of the Boussinesq equation and for a wheel load of 32 kips, I am getting a maximum pressure of 830 pounds at 1 ft below grade decreasing to zero at about 6.5 ft when the wheel load is 2 ft from the wall.

When the wheel load is 5ft from the wall, the maximum pressure is 135 pounds at around 3ft below grade decreasing to zero at around 12ft.

As the distance of the wheel load from the wall will vary, I propose to obtain a load envelope for the possible variations.

Has anyone done a similar design and do the pressures above seem reasonable?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never ran any numbers, but I always have been happy using the traditional two foot of additional surcharge to simulate a wheel load. Apply the resulting lateral component over the entire depth of the wall.
When you start placing wheels very close to a wall, you do get some very high local loads. But in real life, it is not normal for someone to pull a fully loaded 18 wheeler so close to a retaining wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back