Lateral pile load test - Deflection criteria 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinothsekar

Civil/Environmental
Apr 27, 2019
IN
Hello,

What is the maximum deflection criteria can be allowed as per standard for marine pile lateral load test??

Please share the reference.

Vinothkumar S
Geotechnical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SoilRocks (Geotechnical)12 Dec 10 14:07

I don't usually see a structural engineer use a percentage of the pile diameter. Almost 100% of the time, I see them pick an allowable deflection, and apply a factor of safety to the ultimate lateral load that will produce that deflection. The deflections I see structural engineers use most range from 1/4 to 3/4 inch of deflection. I provide the lateral load at the top of pile that will produce that deflection, and they apply a factor of safety to that load - usually 1.5 for transient loads is my understanding.

Anybody know the above criteria reference???

Vinothkumar S
Geotechnical Engineer

If it is so? What is the useful of performing the lateral load test. because i am going to perform the test for container terminal berth.

IRC limitation is 1% of the pile diameter.

Indian standard 2911 - 50% of the final load at which the total displacement increases to 12mm, final load at which the total displacement corresponds to 5mm.

Vinothkumar S
Geotechnical Engineer

The point of a lateral load test would be either to check if your assumptions are correct or to test a sacrificial pile to come up with the design parameters for production piles. Some piles for marine environments are allowed to deflect significantly without damage to the structure while others aren't can't. It's up to the structural engineer to determine the allowable deflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back